Welcome to Your First Class!
Welcome to your first WaterGym® Class! We look forward to meeting you!
Before attending your first class, please read this page. Questions? Call us at: 415-388-5099.
What should I do before attending my first class?
- Read this page. Call with any questions: 415-388-5099.
- See our Marin County Class Schedule to decide which clubs/classes you'd like to attend.
- Make sure to click on each CLUB to see SPECIFICS for that club. All clubs have different protocols!
- PRE-register BEFORE attending your first class to receive your PIN number.
- Also see our FAQs WaterGym Benefits Safety Tips and Workout Guidelines pages.
- As with ANY new exercise program, a medical check is advised before starting
What can I expect for my first class?
- A full-bodied, deep-water aerobic workout for healthy adults looking for a challenging workout.
- A wide variety of exercises traversing back and forth through the pool and stationary power moves.
- A wide variety of class participants at all levels and fitness abilities.
- PLEASE arrive 10-15 minutes early to sign in, suit up and to give us time to ask you questions, fit you with a belt and get you into the pool.
What should I bring to my first class?
- Flotation Belt if you have one
- Swimsuit or Swimsuit Alternate
- Sunscreen, sunglasses, sun visor or anything you need to be comfortable in a sunny outdoor pool
- Shower items if needed
- Pad lock for lockers if needed
- All clubs have dressing rooms and warm showers. You may take a quick shower after class, or wear a robe to class and shower at home. Some of the facilities have empty day lockers, so you may also bring a lock with you to lock up your belongings. Please do not bring any valuables with you to class.
I don't have a float belt. May I still come to class?
I have special physical considerations. May I participate?
- If you have ANY special considerations, call (415) 388-5099 BEFORE coming to discuss if our program is right for you. Special circumstances require a doctor's clearance.
- NON-SWIMMERS: Participants must be comfortable in water. Please call BEFORE attending to discuss.
- PREGNANT: See our WaterGym & Pregnancy page. Please call BEFORE attending to discuss.
- SPECIAL CONDITIONS and INJURIES: Participants must be without injuries or special conditions that require careful one on one attention, as classes are large and this is not possible. If this is you, a water therapy class with a trained aquatic specialist is a better fit.
I'm a beginner. Is this workout going to be too hard for me?
In a week or two you'll feel stronger, so you'll be able to push your limbs faster through the water, which is like lifting a heavier weight. The more you build strength and aerobic endurance, the faster and bigger you can move. So the water keeps meeting and challenging you as your fitness improves, which is why so many WaterGym participants have been in our program for years!
Do you ever cancel class?
Can my family members take a WaterGym® Class with me?
I am a Non-Member. May I still attend class?
Club Policies for WaterGym® Participants:
- We are WaterGym® Ambassadors: While taking a WaterGym class, everything we do and say before, during and after class reflects on our WaterGym program. Please be kind and courteous to all club’s management, staff, members and to each other at all times, and please be especially grateful and curtious to our lifeguards. We’re a large group. Our collective actions and attitude greatly influence the club atmosphere. Please help us create a positive impact.
- Locker Rooms: Please be self-sufficient, like a great house guest! Please tidy up after yourself in the locker rooms and minimize your time in the shower. Non-members must bring their own towels to clubs that provide towels only for their membership.
- Lifeguards & Lane Lines: Our wonderful lifeguards watch over and help us set up for our classes. Sometimes they need a little assistance in moving lane lines or for class. Please lend a hand if you’re able. Also, when lane lines are in, please refrain from hopping over them as they can get damaged.
- Lap swimmers: At some clubs, lap swimming and WaterGym share the pool. At others, lap swimmers vacate the pool for WaterGym. Lap swimmers must be allowed to swim undisturbed until our class begins. Please refrain from entering or crossing their lanes, and be kind and courteous while waiting for their land to clear.
- Pool Temperature: All facilities strive to keep comfortable pool temperatures. These temperatures can vary from 77-84, which is standard for all pools and water exercise classes. If the pool seems cool when entering, run a few laps to warm up. If the water is still uncomfortable for you, ask the teacher to check the temperature. If needed, exit the pool and take a warm shower to properly care for yourself, as we don't want you chilled.
- Class Time: If you’re a non-member taking class in a member-only facility, please exit the pool when class is finished unless a member has checked you in as a guest. Non-members are not allowed usage of pools outside of class time.
- Sound Volume: Please be aware that some clubs are situated where sound carries like a loudspeaker. Please be sensitive to keeping sound levels low, especially in early morning hours.
- Sign in Sheets: You must sign in and pay BEFORE entering pool. If there is a drop box, please drop bills unfolded into the box to save bookkeeping time.
- Entering and Exiting Clubs: Many clubs want us to enter through the main entrance and sign in at the front desk. Please do not enter through employee entrances (side gates etc.) unless there is an emergency or you have been granted permission.